Monday, July 9, 2012

Summer Salad Series ~ 3

Carrot-Feta Salad


Having friends is a wonderful thing. Having friends who enjoy cooking as much as you is even more wonderful. But having friends whose recipe you continue making is priceless. Below is a salad my good friend Sarah made for me once years and years ago. It still has a spot in my heart and on my table.

  •  one pound carrots, peeled and cut
  • 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
  • 6 ounces black olives, pitted
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • juice of 2 small lemons
  • olive oil
  • paprika, to taste
  • salt, to taste

Par-boil the carrots until they are tender, but not cooked through; this makes them able to better absorb the flavors. Cool slightly. Toss carrots with the rest of the ingredients. Chill at least 2 hours, or overnight. Enjoy!




cook's note: (1) this salad gets better with age and not as soon as it is prepared. So plan to make it in the morning, or the day before, to have with dinner.

Asparagus Salad

Here is another long-time favorite. I came across it in a magazine, and my then 2-person family loved it. So, I continued making it. Now, my 3-person family loves it. So, I will continue to make it.

  • 1 pound fresh asparagus
  • 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup sweet white onion, finely chopped
  • whole-grain mustard vinaigrette, recipe follows
Steam the asparagus until tender but not overcooked. Drain, cool and add the rest of the ingredients. Toss with the dressing. Chill 1-2 hours. Serve cold.




 cook's note: (1) to make the whole-grain mustard vinaigrette you will need whole-grain mustard, white balsamin vinergar, and olive oil. Mix all three ingredients to taste until combined. Drizzle over salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment