Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sauteed Salad



Love a good salad? So do I! And how can you not. The best of everything comes together in that bowl to make for a mouthwatering beggining to a meal. And, in our house, we begin every dinner with a salad.

You cannot go wrong with a salad, I don't think. Anything can go in it without worry. You do not need to follow a recipe or stick to proportions. All you need is a lot (or a little) of ingredients and a little (or a lot) of creativity.

For a long time whenever I thought of a "salad" I thought "raw". That was until one day I had spinach that was being wasted in the fridge and no desire to eat it in its raw state. I wondered what I could do about it, without actually "cooking" it and came up with the salad below. It combines my love for sauteed onions and mushrooms and my craving for a vegetable accompaniment to my meals.

If my mom has done anything right raising me the way she did (and she did do plenty), she instilled in me a love for homecooked meals, a passion to cook, and a desire to do the same for my family.

Ingredients:

Sliced onions
Sliced baby bella mushrooms
Grape tomatoes, cut in half
Baby spinach
Lemon juice
Olive oil
Lemon-Pepper

Drizzle olive oil on the bottom of a sautee pan. Add the onions and mushroom. Cook until soft. Season with lemon pepper. Once softened, add the spinach and tomato halves. Cook until spinach is wilted. Turn off heat. Add lemon juice.
Serve!

You can also top it off with parmesan cheese or add shrimp to turn it into a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment