Thursday, December 25, 2014

Suggested Reading 2015

I am always looking for a good book to read. When on hand, I find myself immersed in reading until the book is done. But to find a good book is something I am not good at. While I ask friends and acquaintances for recommendation, I fall behind acquiring the books from the library because I forget or get tied up in doing other things. This year, though, I decided to keep a rolling list of recommended books in a central place. That way I can have easy access to it and reference it when I need a change from cooking or writing or going to bed early.

This is what I have put together. I am not sure how many of these I will read, or if they are all to my liking, but at least they are there. I will eliminate those I later decide are not in my interest category and add more recommendations that I may enjoy. I will track my progress throughout the year, not for accomplishment purposes but for fun. I plan to check these out of the library and maybe purchase a few that I decide are worth keeping.


In alphabetical order:

After Her: A Novel by Joyce Maynard

Bark: Stories by Lorrie Moore

Buddhism Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen

Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy and Hard Times by Jennifer Worth

Coco Chanel: The Legend and the Life by Justine Picardie

Dear Life: Stories by Alice Munro

Five Star Billionaire by Tash Aw

Freud's Mistress by Karen Mack

Hole in the Sky: A Memoir by William Kittridge

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson

In Paradise: A Novel by Peter Matthiessen

Let's Just Say It Wasn't Pretty by Diane Keaton

Nine Inches: Stories by Tom Perrotta

No More Words: A Journal of My Mother, Anne Morrow Lindbergh by Reeve Lindbergh

Reconstructing Amelia: A Novel by Kimberly McCreight

Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen - read, enjoyed reading it

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart

Swim Back to Me by Ann Packer - read, it's ok

The Art Forger: A Novel by B. A. Shapiro 

The Circle by Dave Eggers

The Glass Room by Simon Mawer - read, interesting and engaging 

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker - reading, an interesting though difficult read.

The Imperfectionists: A Novel by Tom Rachman

The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer

The Invention of Wings: A Novel by Sue Monk Kidd

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

The Madam's Daughter by Joanne Orion Miller

The Platform Sutra: The Zen Teachings of Hui-Neng by Red Pine

The Round House by Louise Erdrich

The Silent Wife: A Novel by A.S.A. Harrison - read, easy read and not too involved

The Telling Room: A Tale of Love, Betrayal, Revenge, and the World's Greatest Piece of Cheese by Michael Paterniti - read

The Undying Lamp of Zen, the Testament of Zen Master Torei

This is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett

Tinkers by Paul Harding

No comments:

Post a Comment